What are the consequences for women after egg donation?
Medical procedures, taking hormones can lead to complications, the egg donation procedure is no exception. The risk of complications is minimal, but it exists. What consequences can a woman expect after egg donation?
What are the risks?
Let’s list the main risks for a woman who has decided to become an oocyte donor:
- Complications at the stage of oocyte puncture
- Oocyte retrieval is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that is carried out with a thin puncture needle under ultrasound control in the operating room.
The following complications are possible during the puncture procedure:
- Allergic reaction to anesthesia drugs.
- Complications directly related to puncture needle puncture:
- damage to the bladder, abdominal organs,
Such complications are excluded if the procedure is performed by a qualified physician in an operating room specially equipped for such purposes under ultrasound monitoring.
Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome
Ovarian overstimulation syndrome (OHS) is a dangerous consequence of egg donation, which can develop as a result of taking hormones. The complication occurs when the ovaries respond excessively to stimulation.
Symptoms occur within 3 to 10 days after stimulation:
- bloating of the abdomen,
- heaviness, discomfort, pain in the lower abdomen,
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea is possible.
Note that a slight bloating brooklyn ny of the abdomen after the stimulation procedure is a common occurrence. If the symptom appears on its own without other manifestations, it cannot signal the development of hyperstimulation.
Symptoms of severe SUI:
- unbearable pain in the lower abdomen,
- the rapid increase in body weight,
- frequent vomiting,
- infrequent urination,
- difficulty breathing (caused by the pressure of the ovaries and fluid on the diaphragm),
- pain in the legs.
In the presence of at least, a few of the above symptoms should seek medical attention urgently, do not take medications without a doctor’s prescription.
Such troubles are excluded if the type, dosage, schedule of taking hormones for the donor doctor selects individually, the woman adheres to the recommendations on the intake of drugs.
A comprehensive examination of the donor, individual approach, and follow-up after the program minimizes the risk of complications.
Can I donate eggs again, won’t there be any consequences?
Yes, in 3 months, when the body has recovered.
How many times can I donate eggs?
You can be an egg donor up to six times in your lifetime.
To avoid unpleasant consequences after egg donation, it is enough to follow the doctor’s instructions, not to exceed or reduce the doses of hormones, donate oocytes no more than 6 times in a lifetime.